Friday, 12 December 2014

Why I Chose a Language at GCSE

When people, in and out of school, ask me why I chose to do a language instead of another subject at GCSE I never know what to say apart from "it was the only other subject I enjoyed at the time." However, now I have had the chance to mull it over in my head and actually realise why the hell I picked to do a language. I do GCSE Spanish and have studied it most my life, from Year 6 to Year 11. I thoroughly enjoy doing Spanish as it give me an insight into a new and different language and culture from around the world. So, I thought I would do a post on the pros and cons of studying any language at GCSE or A Level.



Pros



  • When you go to a country that speaks said language, you will be able to join in conversations and order things off a menu or in shops.
  • It looks good on your CV. In a job interview situation you are more than likely going to get the job if you can speak a different language, especially if you have an A Level or degree in it.
  • Being fluent in a language can mean you going on international business trips and even working overseas.
  • More job opportunities. There are a hell of a load more jobs that include another language for example bi or tri linguists. 
  • In some jobs you might get paid more. For businesses that are multinational and have company segments all around the world, you might be employed and given a little extra just because you speak another language.

Cons


  • If you learn the language out of school, the tuition can be expensive.
  • It can be quite challenging learning a whole new language and learning how to pronounce certain things
  • It can be quite draining. Students have enough on their plate without adding on a new language



What language would you like to learn?

No comments:

Post a Comment