Saturday, 11 April 2015

Work Experience





Recently I have reminiscing about my work experience I did this time last year and how much I actually enjoyed it. This gave me the idea to share with you my work experience and give my opinion on the topic.
Work experience is when students in Year 10 go off timetable for two weeks and go to work at a business of their choice.

For starters, I did my work experience in a Premier Inn hotel in the city I live in. I was a bit skeptical because it wasn't something I was remotely interested in and I didn't even want to do it. However, it was the best out of the bunch we got given as choices. 
At the interview I were given the ins and outs of the company and what I would be doing on our two weeks of work. In total there were seven of us from my school, so we got split up to work at the three Premier Inns that are in the city. Unluckily, I got the one which was furthest away which meant an hour and fifteen minutes bus ride everyday for two weeks.
I wasn't that both actually because it gave me a chance to experience independence and to see what life is going to be like when I start working in the future.

For the first two days I was working on reception which meant checking people in and out, greeting people, letting people into the car park and doing general admin work. This was one of my favourite job roles I was given as it gave me the chance to step out of my comfort zone and talk to guests. On day 1 I worked with a guy called Tony who I got on with like a house on fire, which made my first day less overwhelming. For the first day I checked in a guest started to learn the ropes. On day 2 I worked with a lovely lady called Aimee who, again, made the whole first few days a lot more bearable. There wasn't a lot for me to do so Aimee let me create posters for the GOSH, Great Ormond Street Hospital, fundraiser. I really liked this task as it allowed me to be creative and work with a computer. I also got to delivery some towels to a guest. Ooooh how exciting!

On day 3 I was put in house keeping with a woman called Hayley, which I wasn't looking forward to as I struggle to make my own bed let alone someone else's.But, I got on with it and persevered which was a bonus because we finished early! I didn't enjoy house keeping as much as it made me feel drained and exhausted. 

For day 4 I was in food and beverage with a hilarious guy called Neville. Like in reception, he taught me the ropes on how to lay the tables, what foods go where and how to clean the coffee maker. On day 5 I was still in food and beverage but with a lovely girl called Emma. Emma was, without a doubt, one of the funniest people I worked with and was one of the reasons why I loved food and beverage the most. 
Day 6 and 7 I was still on food and beverage which didn't bother me as I liked being in the restaurant. 

Day 8 I was doing public areas which meant that I would spend the day hoovering and cleaning hallways, the lift lobbys and stairs. Again, I didn't mind doing this because it was on my own which meant I could take as long as I want and get the job done. Also, it was something different to working in the restaurant or sitting behind a desk. 

Day 9 and 10 I was back on reception but didn't have much to do other than sit on the system training. Even though they were quite boring, I really liked them because they were really calm and chilled which was perfect for my last two days.

In my opinion, work experience is definitely worth it because it gives you the experience of a typical work day in that career. Also, it looks great on your CV and let's you meet new people. Furthermore, it gives you an idea of what that career you have chosen would be like, if you were to do it as a full time job.


Did you do work experience? Where did you do work experience?

No comments:

Post a Comment