Friday, 19 August 2016

Me Before You Book Review


Will Traynor was a highly successful and wealthy man until an unfortunate road accident leaves him permanently disabled. Two years later, Louisa Clark loses her job at the cafe "The Buttered Bun". At 26 years old, she is living at home, unambitious and only has a few qualifications and has to provide for her family. Louisa goes to the Job Centre and by the help of Syed, the Job Centre assistant, she finds a unique position, looking after a disabled man.
Despite having no previous experience, Louisa is hired by Camilla Traynor, Will's mother, because she thinks her son needs someone to brighten his spirits. 
Shortly after, Louisa notices scars on Will's wrists and one day overhears Will's mother and sister talking privately and learns that Will tried to commit suicide after his mother denied to grant his wish to end his life through an assisted suicide organization. Horrified at his attempt to commit suicide, his mother agrees to grant his wish, but only if he lives for six more years. 
Louisa ends up telling her sister about it and together they come up with ideas to convince Will to abandon his wish. Will becomes more comfortable around Louisa and agrees to her shaving his beard and cutting his shaggy hair. Louisa executes her plans and takes Will on outings and although Will is happier, she senses it isn't enough. She later, with the help of her sister, Louisa plans a holiday full of adventures for Will in Mauritius to finally try and persuade Will to live.

When I saw the trailer for the film adaptation of Me Before You I was instantly in love. I had never heard of the book or the author but there was something about the trailer that drew me in. Some of my friends had read the book and also wanted to see the film, so they persuaded me to buy the book. My friends had sent me snapchats of themselves crying after reading the book which put me off from reading it, if they were crying then I would be wailing. However, I decided to take it on holiday with me and I couldn't put it down. Luckily I got to the sad part when I got home and I didn't ugly cry, although I still found it sad.
Since it is quite a thick book, although not as thick as some, I decided to take it to Mallorca as I knew I would have a lot of time to read. I am kind of glad that I took it on holiday since I got to three chapters before the end!

I absolutely fell in love with this book and the characters and loved the film just as much, although the film made me ugly cry. It is such a beautiful story and kept me guessing throughout. When reading it I couldn't put it down because it just sucked me in. Although it was upsetting at times, at others it was damn right hilarious. 


I would definitely recommend this to anyone who loves a romantic novel!

Have you read this book?

No comments:

Post a Comment